What offends you?

I recently stumbled across the blog of Andrew Jones, who has written a compelling article on "offensive language and the emerging church movement" in which he argues that what people find offensive varies across time, place, and culture. What I find interesting is the context: people who are finding their way to God, and the response of the mainstream church to them, who they are, and where they are in their spiritual walk.

I was reminded of a friend who was relatively new to the church, especially a church of the evangelical Protestant variety. She would invariably use the name of God as a means of emphasis, in a very Newfoundland manner, with such phrases as "God, that was horrible" or "God, it was wonderful seeing them again".

Having struggled with swearing during my own time looking for God, I was a little uncomfortable with this (as mild an oath as many consider it these days). I considered discussing this with her, but fortunately a more mature friend counseled otherwise (and gently helped me see my own hypocrisy). Since then I have had many conversations with Christians about their responses when faced with this and similar offenses.

Considering their opinions, some comments from a number of writers, and scripture, I have concluded that I should not be offended. Nor should I condemn, condescend, or complain. I need to see and accept the person in front of me for who and what they are - God's handiwork. Too often I am tempted to judge, to take Christ's righteousness and become self-righteous. When I do this, I offend them and God. I become a stumbling block to their finding God. I need to see them as God sees them. And love them as he loves them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have the same problem. Recognizing the difference between a Goliath and a Saul. :-)

Jim

Popular posts from this blog

Two books you should read. Now. Go out and get them. I'll wait.

An appeal to my better nature

What if she hadn't sung?