Rest

I just finished reading The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan (his earlier book Your God is Too Safe was also excellent). A pastor on Vancouver Island, he offers a considered, gentle, and scriptural perspective in his writing. The Rest of God is about the Sabbath, about Sabbath-taking and Sabbath-breaking. Rather than dictating what Sabbath is or must be, Buchanan examines his own journey in becoming a Sabbath-taker, and provides hints and practices for us so that we can enter into the rest of God. Buchanan invites us to explore this call, and to taste and see that it is good.

As overly busy modern people, it is easy to dismiss the Sabbath day as an archaic practice that doesn't consider that we have to work six or seven days a week in order to complete our assigned tasks. And we often get caught up with our failure to get something done, or at least I do. I look at my responsibilities at home and at work, my to-do list that gets longer each day, my languishing PhD studies, and I feel guilty. I wonder if I should drop something - just stop working on some task - and then feel guilty about that! Or worse, view thinking about leaving one chore undone as failure.

Do we have to work all the time, to be hell-bent (perhaps literally) on getting things done? Or do we choose to? Do I choose to? It is a question I will be considering.

Comments

Very thoughtful deliberation. Although my views on religion differ from yours, I believe that any reflections on slowing down; on stepping off the hamster wheel is vital in today's society. However one defines one's spirituality, it cannot be explored if work and "busy-ness" are the terms defining one's existence.
Anonymous said…
I must say, of all the examples God has set for us I think sabath rest is by far the easiest to follow. Much easier than not coveting (sp?) for instance.

Popular posts from this blog

Two books you should read. Now. Go out and get them. I'll wait.

An appeal to my better nature

What if she hadn't sung?