And so the journey begins...

I mentioned in a recent post that I would be looking at two questions: what does it mean to trust God?, and how do I trust God? I started exploring this in Matthew's gospel, specifically the sixth chapter. In verses 25 through 34, Matthew records Jesus as teaching about worry. Or more exactly, about not worrying.

In this passage, Jesus tells us "do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on." He goes on to say that God "knows that you need all things" and if we "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness...all these things shall be added to you." (Yes, I am using the New King James translation, a slightly modified version of the original King James, which is, of course, the Bible Jesus used!)

Sounds like good advice. So how do I stop worrying? I think the clue lies at the beginning of this section: "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life..." "Therefore" suggests that the reason we should not worry is mentioned earlier in the gospel. This passage is found in the Sermon on the Mount, which starts at the beginning of chapter five and runs to the end of chapter seven.

The next stage of our journey means taking a step back. We'll see where that leads soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two books you should read. Now. Go out and get them. I'll wait.

An appeal to my better nature

What if she hadn't sung?