Trust only the trustworthy

As I have mentioned in two earlier posts, I have been learning to trust God over the last few months. While there has been much happening in my life this past twelve months, two events have precipitated some anxiety and worry for me (and those around me).

As anyone who has been overseas for an extended period can tell you, moving back to your home country is a stressful event, even when you are ready and as mentally prepared to return as we were. Getting settled back in the house, straightening out school for our youngest, taking on new roles at work, managing an overall reduction in salary, it all adds up pretty quickly. But that was going reasonably well. Then the unexpected happened: I was out of a job. Now the worry levels rose to new heights, especially given the economic situation the world is in.

What is most interesting about this time is that God used people I knew to direct me to himself. The earliest instances of this I have commented on earlier, and you can read about it here. What I want to focus on now are the examples of trust committed and trust rewarded that God has shown me in his efforts to get me to trust him more.

A dear friend from our Doha days shared with me his experience of trusting God. As a young man, he came to understand that his house was not really his at all but was God's. His ability to buy and maintain a house had been enabled by God, who gifted him with the talent and skill necessary to earn a living. He committed his home to God's use, and has freely made it available to God ever since. This has ranged from putting up visiting clergy and missionaries to being hospitable to whoever was in need of hospitality. Every time it has been used in this way he has been blessed by the experience.

A couple we met in Doha were much more radical in their trust, and I found this particularly challenging. They told me that God had directed them to return to Alberta, sell their belongings, and get in their car and head south. When they reached the place God wanted them to start a ministry, he would let them know. I don't think I could have done that. But they trusted God and were obedient, and spent six wonderful months in Central America reaching out to people in need.

Their journey reminded me of Abraham, who God told to leave his home and "go to the land I will show you" (Genesis 12:1). I found this such a frightening prospect, the notion of leaving what has been safe and comfortable and heading into the unknown. And then I realised that I was in that same position. While I was not moving away, I had been cut off from a safe and certain life with only uncertainty ahead.

Strangely, there was comfort in this knowledge. People I knew had been where I was now, Abraham had been there (amongst a number of Biblical characters). God reminded me that others had been right to put their trust in him, that their trust had not been misplaced. He was telling me that I could trust him too. So I did.

Then I didn't trust him. And then I did again. It wasn't a one-time commitment but a process of re-commitment. But God faithfully pointed out again and again that I could trust him, reminding me though scripture, sermons, and conversations with other people.

It's important to note that God wasn't telling me to trust him because everything was going to be sunshine and sweetness and light. I knew that a few months after my friend returned from Central America, he lost his job. He pointed out to me that he was being encouraged by Jeremiah 17:7-8 (you can read it here) which encouraged me!

I learned that it wasn't about the outcome per se, but about trusting God for the outcome. God taught me that he would be responsible for where and how things ended up, and that I could be content with that, with not controlling it myself. This was the hardest part, passing the burden to God and accepting whatever he determined would be my destination. I had to work at it, through prayer, telling God I was trusting him and asking him to help me trust him in the same breath (for which there is Biblical precedent, by the way!). Eventually, I did reach the point where I was truly able to commit my trust to him.

Interestingly, if I had not relinquished control to God, I would have not ended up with the wonderful, exciting, and challenging job that I am starting tomorrow. I would have jumped at the first opportunity that came along. And I can safely say that God brought this job about, since at one point in the process I was told I was basically out of the running. He has shown me the place he wants me. And I am not only content, but overjoyed at his love, mercy, and trustworthiness.

Comments

sharon whitt said…
Your blog is very encouraging, Don. God is leading us all to trust Him more--"He is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that is working in us by His Holy Spirit."
Have a GREAT day today starting your new job.
Sharon
CLB said…
This really gave me something to think about.

Popular posts from this blog

Two books you should read. Now. Go out and get them. I'll wait.

An appeal to my better nature

What if she hadn't sung?