30 days later...

It's hard to believe that 30 days have passed since my last post (not the last post, thankfully). December has been a busy, busy month. And I suspect it has been for you as well, dear reader, what with Eid, Christmas, and the rapidly approaching conclusion to 2007. (I am reminded of an email I received from a colleague a few years ago, soliciting support for a needy family at Christmas. She attempted to create a sense of urgency by noting that "Christmas was vastly approaching", but only succeeded in creating an exchange of amusing emails ranging from wondering just how big the season really is {It's huge!} to pirate jokes {Maybe she meant avastly approaching.})

The end of one year and the start of the next is a time of reflection for many people, and I am no exception. 2007 was a great year, and I expect 2008 will be the same. Every year has been a great year. I have been blessed my entire life, with family, friends, health, all the things that truly matter.

I'll not get into a litany of my sins and shortcomings of the past twelve months (yes, there have been both), but shall instead look ahead. I think of Ebenezer Scrooge (as played by Alistair Sim, in the 1951 movie - the best Scrooge hands down) who, having scrutinized his past, present, and future, resolves to be a better person. As Dickens tells us at the end of A Christmas Carol, Scrooge "became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world." That seems to me to be as good a resolution as any.

Happy New Year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two books you should read. Now. Go out and get them. I'll wait.

An appeal to my better nature

What if she hadn't sung?